Thursday, March 26, 2009

Wii Update supports SD Cards

For a long time now, the SD slot in the Wii was used to show photos and to allow one to 'backup' his or her Virtual Console games and Channels. In keeping with Tradition, the Wii launched with very minimal hardware specifications. Not that it mattered, it still has better games that the XBox 360 and PS3 in my eye.

Anyhow, while one was able to backup Virtual Console games the SD card, one could not run the games off of it. Thus, if I moved a game to the SD card to free up the internal storage space, I had to move it back again if I wanted to play it.

At last, Nintendo have done something to make use of the SD slot. The new update for the Wii now allows owner to navigate the Virtual Console games and even Wii Channels stored on the SD card. Furthermore, one can even save Virtual Console games and Wii Channels from the Wii Store directly to the SD card.

Don't go thinking you can use it on a full internal memory though. While it says that one can play the games of the SD card, the truth is the game (or part of it) is temporarly copied to the internal storage before it is ran.

I found this out when I tried to play Ocarina of Time of my SD card. It wasn't until I removed some of the channels it finally started.

Requirements aside, this is a welcome addition to the Wii. Now if only Nintendo would work on a hard drive.....

No comments: