Friday, May 14, 2010

Another Code: Two Memories

It has been quite some time since I have released a game review. While my last run was short lived, I was still pleased as I was still able to at least get three game reviews in a row out on time. As my last review went to the Web, I found out that game developer Cing had filed for bankruptcy (sources: Kotaku and Wikipedia).

To me, this is a rather sad moment. While I have only played two Cing games and I am working on a third, I still had a lot of fun. While I have other reviews in the pipeline, I am putting them on hold as I review the two Cing games I have finished.

First up is Another Code: Two Memories. This was the first game I ever got for my Nintendo DS. I was drawn to it because reviews and promotional material make it look like a modern version of Myst. This was exactly the case and without further ado, here is my review in my usual comprehensive manner.

Overview

In Another Code, the player is cast the role of Ashley. While most young girls are full of joy whenever their fourteenth birthday arrives, Ashley is full of emotional turmoil. Just a few days prior, a package arrived for her. Inside is a DS like device called a DAS and a letter from Ashley’s father. This is a shock to Ashley as she had believed that her father died along with her mother when Ashley was only three years old.

The game starts with Ashley on a boat with her aunt to the destination specified in the letter: Blood Edward Island. No sooner does Ashley arrive her aunt is kidnapped and Ashley sets out find her.

Shortly afterwards, Ashley finds a ghost named D, who has no memory of how he died thus cannot pass over and finally rest in peace. Together, Ashley and D search the environs of Blood Edward Island in an attempt learn what has happened on the Island and hopefully answers from Ashley’s father as to why he left her behind all those years ago.

Game Play

While it is obvious, I am reluctant to dub Another Code as a Myst clone. Then again, this task is quite difficult for any adventure game, considering the fact Myst practically took adventure gaming at the time and made itself (Myst) a textbook of the genre.

There are some similarities in Another Code to Myst: the player is in pre-rendered backgrounds and moving around changes the stills. When playing Myst the player finds puzzle hints at one location, and then solves a device/puzzle in another location to progress. While puzzle rich, the environments of Myst are almost devoid of characters.

Like Myst, the player only has Ashley and D and basically wonders about the game world finding and solving puzzles to progress the game and story. This is basically the formula behind the whole Myst series: moving about a detailed world solving one puzzle after another.

It is the design of the puzzles that quickly separate Another Code from Myst. Through the use of the touch screen, the player is able to manipulate objects and try to solve the presented puzzles. These interactions vary from simply putting torn paper together to brushing away dust or using charcoal to reveal clues to help progress the game.

There are even puzzles that require solving by tiling the upper screen of the DS and a few puzzles ever require the use of the DS microphone. My personal favourite is the use of an in-game camera to take pictures of my surroundings and then overlay them to find further clues to further progress.

Puzzles aside, Another Code also makes effective use of both DS screens. On the top screen, the player is presented with a pre-rendered image of the current environment at a fixed angle. The bottom screen provides the player with a real time 3D, top-down view of the current environment. It is also on the bottom screen the player is able to move Ashley about.

As Ashley moves, the still image on the top screen changes depending on where Ashley is positioned. While a still image, it helps add other angle to Ashley’s point of view and makes it easier to search the environment for clues.

In general, the game play of Another Code is simply moving about the game world from one puzzle to the next. Thanks to the challenge and variety of the puzzles, the player is still compelled to continue the game.

Story

If my past reviews are anything to go by (especially with my assessment of Avatar), I like a good story. It is the primary reason why I play some games: I like to play a part of an epic tale in a world that is long gone or in a world that can only exist in the imagination.

Story wise, Another Code is part adventure and part mystery. Adventure wise, Ashley is on Blood Edward Island, seeking answers about her father. Mystery wise, Ashley, along with D, slowly learn of the final events that took place on the Island and what became of D in his own final moments.

Overall, the story is well written, and there are touching and sad moments. All of which are supported by the detail of the games environment. I would love to detail more, but given the short length of the story, I refrain from doing so as to not spoil the game for readers of this blog.

Graphics and Sound

To most, it may seem harsh to judge a Nintendo DS game on its sound and graphics capabilities. It is understandable given that the hardware is quite low powered. However, I am of the opinion that if a game is made twice, once on a HD console and again on a retro, 8-bit console, the overall playability and enjoyment of the two games should be identical. Overall, hardware to me is just an enabler, not a solution to make a good game.

Despite the limitations of the Nintendo DS hardware, Another Code is still able to deliver. True, the level of detail on the 3D environment on the lower screen is low. However, the visuals are backed by a well chosen selection of sounds. With a minimal amount of imagination, one is able to add the extra resolution and the environment of Blood Edward Island soon comes to life.

Another Code also sports a magnificent soundtrack. Given that only a very few set of characters are encountered in this game, it was a wise move to give each character his or her own sound theme. As well as the characters, each environment also has its own theme that matches both the visual and atmospheric characteristics.

Overall

To tell a long story short, Another Code is a game that is guaranteed to give a tall order of enjoyment. A well written adventure/mystery story, coupled with intelligent use of the hardware controls, backed by well crafted and placed music all wrapped up in one single game. I admit, I would have liked the game to go a little longer, but that is just nit-picking. I bought this game years ago, and I still play it to this day. Personally, this is a must for anyone who owns a DS.

No comments: